Taking up the Cross? What is it?


I remember when I was in hospital for my first pacemaker operation I was pretty scared and so I asked to see the Chaplin. When he came I was explaining a little about my medical history.  He listened very attentively but then he gave me what I thought at the time and still think today as a bit of Pious Claptrap. He looked me straight in the eye and said “ We all have our cross to bear and this one is yours” I remember thinking at the time and have also had time to think about it that this maybe was not the most useful advice that could have been given. For maybe this cross is too heavy to carry and actually I don’t want to carry it.

We read in today’s gospel that if you want to be a disciple of mine then you must take up the cross and follow me. So what does this mean? When I think of the cross I think of that final journey to Jesus he carried that burden and struggled with it. He found it hard and tough going. He did not complain about the burden he was carrying but went on.

There is also something else in Jesus carrying his cross. On the way to Calvary and his death he was helped on his way. He was helped by Monica wiping his face, he was helped by Simon who carried the cross with him.

It is important to carry our cross even when we do not want to carry it, but there is another aspect and that is to let others help you carry the cross. Let others help you with the burden of the weight of your particular cross. The Holy Father knew that his ministry at times would be tough and on that day when he was shown to the world he asked for the prayers of others. He was aware that being a disciple of Jesus Christ of carrying his own cross of office he needed others to help.

We take the burden of our own crosses. But, we should not do it alone. We should ask for help let others take the strain with us. This is where we sometimes come up short because we are proud and do not want others to help us. We say its ok don’t worry. We need to allow others to help us to carry it with us.

Within the parish there are groups that help carry others crosses and do great work. I think particularly of the Bereavement group and the SVP. Those who help in these groups walk with those who are burdened either by grief or are lonely and need a visit or need some help and advice. Through this they help through care and time to listen to those in need. And there is one day when we too many need the help of these groups in the parish. Today I would like to ask you to do two things. Maybe you also feel that you might like to help in carrying others burdens I ask you to pray for these groups but also to give of your time and join and help these groups reach out to more people.

Carrying the Cross that we have been given is often hard and tough but maybe we can help each other by appropriate help and help others carry the cross of others and grow as a community.
The last words of the gospel today Jesus tells us get rid of all that belongs to us all our possessions. Maybe the one thing that we hold on too more than anything else in our time. Maybe this is the possession I really need to get rid of and give that time to others.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

A Year of Service

Easter

The beauty of the first part of Holy Week.